The Plum Guide is building a marketplace of the world’s best holiday homes. For real!
We are taking a systematic and obsessive approach to testing every single home on the planet, and accepting only the top 1%.
We do so by putting every home through The Plum Test: a gruelling hospitality exam, which uses a mix of algorithms and physical visits by hospitality experts.
We launched 2 years ago in London. Since then, we have grown 20% month on month, vetted over 80,000 homes and reached over £11m in annualised sales! We are backed by an all-star cast investor group including Local Globe (TransferWise, OneFineStay, Citymapper), Octopus Ventures (Secret Escapes, Eve, Tails), BGF Ventures (Trouva, Roli, Gousto), Alex Chesterman (Founder of Zoopla), William Reeve (Founder of Love Film), Alex Saint and Troy Collins (Founders of Secret Escapes), Errol Damlin (Founder of Wonga) Jason Goodman (Founder of Albion) and many more.
We have just closed our Series A round of funding. The objectives of this round are to take Plum global and continue to differentiate the brand and the experience for our guests and hosts.
Home Critics are Plum’s superheroes. They put every home and host that applies through the Plum Home Test. This is how we guarantee the quality of every home in the collection.
You’ll visit the homes and conduct a 1.5-3 hours test, depending on the size of the home. You’ll interview the host, rate the home on over 150 criteria, create a floor plan and decide whether it passes or fails. You’ll then create the content that powers our beautiful listings.
This is a freelance position. Most Home Critics do between 2 and 6 tests a week – and we ask for at least 8 months’ commitment to apply.
What you’ll be up to
- Visiting some of the most beautiful vacation homes in London.
- Meeting new hosts on each visit and interviewing them about their approach to hosting and the services they provide.
- Meticulously collecting information about the home and answering every question fully and diligently. This includes things like measuring shower pressure, checking thread-count and testing the decibel level and wifi signal.
- Creating a representative floor plan using software installed on an ipad.
- Building the content to create the listings. This includes: the summary description, the highlights, the home truths and the area recommendations (nearby restaurants, cafes, attractions etc.)
- Positioning each home for the right target market (e.g. families, couples, businesspeople etc.)
- Giving the photographer and stylist guidance on what features to capture during the photoshoot.
- Deciding whether each home and host you visit qualifies to join the Plum collection in London.
- Providing feedback to the Plum HQ to improve the testing criteria and process.
- Building the Plum brand and culture in London and helping make our flagship city an even bigger success!
Who we are looking for
We’re looking for bright, energetic and passionate people who love London. Get in touch if:
- You’re passionate about interiors and design, and have an opinion about what’s good enough and what isn’t. You can spot an Ikea-quality couch from a mile away and believe guests deserve better.
- You’re a people-person. You find meeting and getting to know new people easy and a pleasure, and regularly get told you make a great first impression.
- You have excellent written ability and can write in descriptive detail to convey to the reader what a home or experience is like.
- You’re organised and always on time for appointments and meetings.
- You’re committed. You take responsibilities seriously and never miss deadlines or deliverables.
- You have exceptionally high standards. From food to art and fashion, you live and breathe design excellence and have an eye for it.
- You take pride in your work and wouldn’t dream of putting your name to something sub-standard.
- You’re empathetic and can put yourself in others’ shoes. You can imagine what’s important to guests, especially as tourists to your city.
- You’re a good judge of character and good at reading people. You could understand whether someone would be a caring and attentive host after a few hours.
- You’re a London expert. You’re always in the know about the best places to eat, must-see galleries and exhibitions, and the up-and-coming neighbourhoods.
Why Be a Home Critic
- Learn about curation and hospitality. We’re building a unique and fascinating formula for the perfect stay based on art, science and data.
- Work flexibly! We don’t expect you to be in the office everyday (but we like it when you drop by). We send you to home tests and you can complete the listing from home or a café.
- Get paid to explore incredible homes - it’s a great way to top-up your income.
- Explore your city and make connections with fascinating hosts.
- Be part of a passionate, friendly and transparent culture. We’re building an amazing place to work where everyone is learning and challenging themselves.
- Opportunities to grow into new roles. Some of our Home Critics in London have been recruited for office-based roles or special projects.
Hours & compensation
You will be paid between £50 to £70 per test and listing creation, depending on the size of the home. We estimate each test and listing creation will take around 5 hours. This includes travel time to and from the visited homes if you’re based in London.