The Plum Guide is building a marketplace of the world’s best holiday homes. For real!
We are taking a systematic and obsessive approach to testing every single home on the planet, and accepting only the top 1%.
We do so by putting every home through The Plum Test: a gruelling hospitality exam, which uses a mix of algorithms and physical visits by hospitality experts.
We launched 20 months ago in London. Since then, we have grown at 20% month on month, vetted over 80,000 homes and are on track to reach over £10m in annualised sales! We are backed by an all-star cast investor group including Local Globe (TransferWise, OneFineStay, Citymapper), Alex Chesterman (Founder of Zoopla), William Reeve (Founder of Love Film), Alex Saint and Troy Collins (Founders of Secret Escapes), Errol Damlin (Founder of Wonga), Jason Goodman (Founder of Albion) and many more.
We have just closed our Series A round of funding. Now the exciting work begins. The biggest nut of all to crack? Viral, advocacy-driven growth.
That’s where you come in.
As a business, we are too reliant on paid performance marketing. We need to establish and scale organic & viral growth channels through customer and host advocacy. This will be your project to own. So, what does success look like?
You will have hit the ball out of the park if after 12 months you have made The Plum Guide viral: in other words, you’ve managed to get each customer to bring us one new customer within a year of booking.
What you’ll be up to
This is a highly entrepreneurial role that will evolve and morph as the business develops. However, to bring it to life, here is what you can expect to be doing:
- Be the owner of one of Plum’s most important metrics: our viral ratio.
- Analyse data, talk to customers and go undercover to unearth insights to inspire your organic growth ideas.
- Invent, design and launch campaigns to drive advocacy and viral growth. It will be up to you to decide what to do. However, to bring it to life, the kinds of things we could imagine this would entail include:
- Partnering with an aspirational brand to our target audience like Monocle to produce the annual Plum coffee-table book and leave it in every Plum home.
- Devising and producing compelling video creatives that our customers would organically share.
- Producing a raft of digital and physical Plum assets (e.g. the Plum Star, the Welcome folio, host business cards etc.) that our hosts would display as a badge of honour on their websites and in their homes.
- Figuring out how to make every touchpoint along the customer journey feel ‘Plum’ and special enough to get customers talking and sharing.
- Inventing, designing and implementing a raft of customer & host ‘peak experiences’ that drive organic WOM advocacy.
- Designing and delivering incentivised referral schemes for both our customers and our hosts: experimenting with different audiences, different incentives and different messaging at different points of the customer & host journeys.
- Test lots of these new ideas every month. Measure and track them quantitatively with a view to quickly figuring out what works and what doesn't.
- Once you find something that works, run a program of always-on iteration to optimise the most viral ideas.
- Support the brand team and own other projects designed to drive business growth.
Who we are looking for
This role is defined by the fact it requires someone who is equal parts creative and data minded. You will need to analyse site data to find opportunity areas, just as much as you’ll need to creatively direct a video production.
If you don’t feel you have an exact 50/50 split across these skill sets (along with the rest of the human population), we’d still love to hear from you if you feel you are some or all of the following:
- A highly creative executor: you are excited by the idea of directing and producing videos, books, emails, prints and physical products.
- A serious do-er - you’re action driven and love getting stuff done.
- Comfortable with using numbers and data to inform your decision making.
- Naturally curious to pick up the phone and talk to our customers and hosts, with a knack for uncovering insights.
- A creative problem solver.
- A confident self-learner: you enjoy the challenge of teaching yourself to do things you have never done before and you get stuck in on a daily basis.
- You have unreasonably high standards for what is good enough.
- You share our customer’s sophisticated taste in design and aesthetics. An intrinsic understanding of our ‘mature urban creative’ customer is a huge plus.
- Incredible learning opportunities in building and scaling a digital business: not only will you lead the organic growth strategy of a top -tier VC-backed business, but you will be exposed to all facets of scaling: fundraising, marketing, engineering, finance and ops.
- Lots of creative freedom in a risk-taking environment.
- If you make your objectives happen, you will inevitably be one of the most sought out talents in the start-up, creative and hospitality industries.
- Genuine ownership and autonomy to make The Plum Guide a famous viral growth story in the next few years.
- Be one of the earliest team members of what we believe will be one of Europe’s most famous start-ups.
- Be part of a passionate, friendly and transparent culture.
- Competitive salary and options scheme: our ambitions are huge and we hope it pays out for all.